Tuesday, December 26, 2006

A letter to a charming man, by an alarming fan (una carta abierta a jesse lacey)

Voy a mandar esta carta una vez que publique post, sientanse libre de burlarse de mi. Oficialmente soy una niña de 14 años...


Dear Jesse:

I would like to tell you how much brand new means to me. You may never recieve this letter but I guess it's worth a try.

I'm a fan from mexico, I "God and Devil" and "Deja" in hardcopy and Your favorite downloaded (it's hard to get those cd's here). Guilty, I also have the illegal downloads, i have no justification, except that I'm in love with your music. I've had several failed atempts to make a mexican br& new fan club and once I'm 18 im getting my astronaut tattoo in tribute to deja entendu in part and the other part to my father (he's an astrophysicist).

OK, this may seem a little nuts, but let me explain why such fanaticism:

I have grown up with brand new, and your lyrics. When I was going through my whole teen angst fase during 8th/9th grade, I had your favorite weapon to get through it. When I had my first "dramatic" break up, seventy times seven was there. I started my first band with the moniker of mixtape ( we weren't much good though).

Then, Deja entendau came along. A girlfriend gave it to me, since she knew that i liked your band (the falling hopelessly in love didn't start yet).The CD just sat next to my stereo for weeks, since I distrusted the artsy astronaut cover. To be fair, I was in my pop-punk/punk rocker phase. I gave it a skeptical first spin, at the second spin i was lost in a see of gorgeous chord progresions and lyrics. I could relate to the songs on a somewhat superfical level, until a year later, my grandfather died. Of lung cancer. Guernica said everthing i couldn't say about the situation. My obsession grew. I can honestly say that deja entendu was my first love. It wasn't a cute girl, a classic car or a vintage gibson. It was that CD. It made me want to get serious about music. It said everything i felt so eloquently. From being away from home, to saying what that girl was missing out on, to my grandfather dying of lung cancer.

I was watching an interview with you and you said something along the lines of "You try to convince these people that you're the most normal guy in the world and still there in awe". It's not the rockstar image that amazes me, it's not the morrisey-like mysterious persona. It's the poetic truth, the honesty and the stripped bare feeling that is your lyrics that have us in awe.

I have given Deja entendu endless spins, just waiting for you to tour, since i missed a couple of dates (living in a foreign country doesn't help at all). I live a couple of hours from san diego, across the border. So when I knew that you where playing in san diego last july i knew i had to go. And so i went, to a sold out show, without tickets in hand, ariving to town a couple of ours before the show. I was supposed to recieve some tickets in the mail but they never got to me. So i got on ebay purchased a couple of tickets and went on a bus to the other side of town to get them. Got them jumped on a trolley to get to the show to the last colour of revolt songs, and after a long wait, sweaty, it was all worth just to shout in one of the silent parts "we love you jesse" and you nodded. OK, I may sound like a 12 year old girl, but that made me happy. I sang every song to the top of my lungs.

A month later, a friend told me he had a friend in sandiego that knew you. That the guy was in japan when you played and was the only american there. So you passed him backstage that time and you passed him backstage when you where in san diego. I don't know if he was just teasing or if it was really true, still couldn't help but feel a little jealous. hehe.

As i said before, i can always directly relate to brand new lyrics. I don't know if it's a good thing that we go through similar tragedies. But a week ago i was in a near fatal car crash. I'm ok, but my car was completely totaled and is nothing but a scrap of metal. I am so thankful that i'm a alive. On christmas eve one of my best friends gave me a copy of the devil and god as a early christmas present. I was amazed to read the lyrics and see all the near death experience references, i can honestly say that i can relate in a deep level to almost every brand new song.

I'm seventeen right know. 7 month's from being 18, ergo getting my bn tattoo. I'm applying to USC to get a music industry degree, because i want people to have bands to feel strong about as much as i feel as strogn about brand new. You've really been an inspiration to me and all i have left to say is thank you, you may never recieve this letter, but i just need to get it off my chest and yeah, i still have a little hope that you'll get my letter.

Thank you Jesse.


lvn y s mch tht t hrts m hd,

David Hiriart

Festina Vite Lente

4 Comments:

Blogger cas said...

solo tengo 2 palabras...

MAMALO [*plup]

n_n

12:06 AM

 
Blogger Maída said...

porque no le hablaste de tu amigui maida que con tanto cariño usó sus ultimos dolares en comprarte a ti una copia de Devil & God, en vez de comprar una para ella? eh UH?!

3:12 PM

 
Blogger oakleyses said...

ghd, nike huaraches, beats by dre, vans, nike trainers, chi flat iron, air max, mont blanc, ferragamo shoes, mcm handbags, soccer shoes, north face outlet, wedding dresses, oakley, vans shoes, instyler, louboutin, valentino shoes, bottega veneta, babyliss pro, new balance shoes, ralph lauren, abercrombie and fitch, longchamp, celine handbags, iphone cases, birkin bag, nfl jerseys, abercrombie, nike roshe run, converse shoes, lululemon outlet, baseball bats, timberland boots, ray ban, jimmy choo outlet, mac cosmetics, hollister clothing store, reebok outlet, insanity workout, hollister, north face jackets, soccer jerseys, herve leger, asics running shoes, gucci, converse, air max, giuseppe zanotti, p90x

8:25 PM

 
Blogger oakleyses said...

canada goose, canada goose, karen millen, canada goose, swarovski crystal, hollister, wedding dresses, ugg, barbour, moncler, canada goose, ugg pas cher, canada goose uk, moncler, sac louis vuitton, pandora jewelry, ugg boots, juicy couture outlet, canada goose jackets, pandora jewelry, moncler, michael kors outlet, swarovski, ugg, pandora charms, moncler, juicy couture, ugg, marc jacobs, moncler, michael kors outlet online, moncler outlet, canada goose, pandora charms, links of london, doke gabbana, louis vuitton, thomas sabo, canada goose outlet, barbour, sac lancel, sac louis vuitton, supra shoes, coach outlet store online, louis vuitton uk, toms shoes, moncler, louis vuitton, montre homme, moncler, michael kors handbags, rolex watches

8:33 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home